It's strange as I never ran into any problem. I reviewed the process today and ran some tests. I think I found the problem. There's an unnecessary section in the instructions:
#auth sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_rootok.so debug
#auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_wheel.so group=priviledged_grp
This section was added to the blog based on a reader's feedback. I didn't verify it myself and thought it wouldn't do any harm even if it's unnecessary.
Evidently, this unnecessary step broke the system. If you already performed this, you may undo it by removing the # signs. So the two lines should read like this:
auth sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_rootok.so debug
auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_wheel.so group=priviledged_grp
Reboot the system after making the changes. View service status with command 'utils service list page'. You should see 'A Cisco DB' service is [STARTED]. Wait for a while, other services should be in [STARTED] state.
I've removed the section from original post. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.